“Tkuma” Ukrainian Institute for Holocaust Studies – the first national center for the Holocaust in Ukraine history studies, which has been fruitfully working since 1999. “Tkuma” Institute closely cooperates with the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, the Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance, universities, research scientific and educational institutions of Ukraine, as well as Canada, France, Israel, Moldova, Germany, Poland, Romania, the USA and other countries.
A special place in the “Tkuma” Institute activities is occupied by the joint project with Yad Vashem (Israel) “Holocaust studies in Ukraine for the formation the atmosphere of tolerance”, which has been successfully implemented for more than 10 years. Permanent cooperation is also carried out with the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum (Poland); Ukrainian-German Commission of Historians; Ukrainian-Polish commission of experts on improving the content of history and geography school textbooks; organization “Ukrainian-Jewish Encounter” (Canada) etc.
The main areas of “Tkuma” Institute work are scientific and educational work and the publication of special literature.
- organization of scientific projects on the Holocaust history in different regions of Ukraine (research expeditions, work in archives, research institutions, etc.);
- conducting of scientific conferences, forums on the Holocaust history, participation in scientific conferences of other research institutions;
- cooperation with international partners in the organization of scientific projects and initiatives.
- preparation and publication of the academic series “Ukrainian Library of the Holocaust” – scientific studies on the Holocaust history, collections of documents, “Holocaust Studies: A Ukrainian Focus”, Peer-reviewed Annual Journal.
- development together with the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine of a teacher training system for the Holocaust history teaching and other genocides, integration of the Holocaust history into the curricula and courses of educational institutions of Ukraine;
- creation of educational programs and textbooks on history for educational institutions of Ukraine;
- organization of work with schoolchildren and university students on the Holocaust history study and other genocides, opposition to anti-Semitism and other forms of xenophobia (holding seminars and conferences for schoolchildren and university students, conducting the International Contest of the Ministry of Education and Sciences of Ukraine and “Tkuma” Institute “Lessons of War and Holocaust – Lessons of Tolerance “, International Interreligious Youth Project “The Ark” and other projects and initiatives);
- creation of multimedia content on the Holocaust history and other topical issues of history using the YouTube platform, mass media capabilities, assistance to teachers and students of Ukraine in the creation of multimedia and other author's works, etc.
Thanks to the fruitful cooperation with state institutions, scientific and educational organizations of Ukraine and other countries, “Tkuma” Ukrainian Institute for Holocaust Studies has great opportunities for the further development of long-term scientific, educational and social programs aimed at creating the atmosphere of international tolerance based on the preservation of historical memory. This is especially important under the conditions of full-scale russian aggression against Ukraine and the instrumentalization and falsification of history to promote the narratives of “russian peace” and imperial, chauvinistic, anti-democratic ideas.